Care for Your Personal and Professional Brands
Freedom of Speech? Sure! It’s a free country. Post whatever you want. But, there are consequences.
Google, Bing, Yahoo, and MSN are voracious eaters. They digest and spit out whatever they find associated with your name. What you say (and do) online comes home to roost where you probably don’t want it.
When you (or a friend) post ‘uncomplimentary’ photos, political and religious zeal, use foul language, etc., it lives on-line for a very long time. Prospective clients, employers, co-workers, and friends you never intended to see those posts may not share your thoughts, beliefs, and personal passions.
Having opinions and religious beliefs is our constitutional right, but how (and where) we share them can have unintended consequences.
”You Only Get One Chance To Make a First Impression.”
Over a billion people use Facebook. Friends of friends can be a large audience for your comments and shared posts.
Add Google, Bing, Yahoo, and MSN searches to the mix and unless you’ve locked down your security settings on Facebook and elsewhere, The words you write, and the photos you post are not only visible on Facebook … They’re plastered all over the search engines and discovered with a simple name search.
Take Your On-line Reputation ‘Pulse’
- Review your ‘wall’ and check your posts and the posts of others.
- Check your profile picture. Is that how you want ‘friends of friends’ and those searching for you on the web to see you?
- Google, Bing, Yahoo, and MSN your name. What are your first and second page listings? What photos of yours do you find?
- What Facebook or other social media listings do you see? Are you surprised? Happy?
- Check who is posting about your salon or spa on Google Local Business Listings, Yelp, Yahoo! Local Listings, Citysearch, MerchantCircle, and Insider Pages.
Online reputation management is every bit as important as the money you spend on advertising, promotion, and PR.
Want to dig deeper? Read Online Reputation Management Guide. It’s an excellent resource.
- Google ‘Manage your online reputation’
- Google ‘Remove a page or site from Google’s search results’
- Google ‘Me on the web’
What Do You Do to Keep Yourself Safe?